Raspberry Gose

After several tastings of craft sour beers, I concluded that this is something I would like to have in my garage.

Reviewing several recipes directed me to the style of gose with the addition of raspberries and the souring in the kettle method. The formula was BYO recipe, but I made a few changes, including a small addition of hops to improve foam and stability.

RECIPE DETAILS

Batch size: 25L (6.5 gal)
Mash water: 18L filtered water + 3ml Phosphoric Acid 75%
Sparge water: .17L filtered water
Pre-boil gravity: 1.042 (10.5 BLG)
Boil time: 60 min
OG: 1.048 (11.9 BLG)
FG: 1.010 (2.6 BLG)
IBU*=6.5 EBC*=6 SRM=3 ABV=5%
BH Efficienty*=76% Est Mash Eff*=81%
* – EST by Beer Smith3 (the color does not include the addition of raspberries)

FERMENTABLES:

AmtName%
2.5 kgPilsner malt47.2%
2.5 kgWheat malt47.2%
0.3 kgRice hulls5.7%
2.8kgRaspberries

HOPS&SPICES

TimeNameAmountAlphaUseForm
60 minSimcoe5g13%BoilPellet
15 minCoriander30gBoilSeeds
15 minSea Salt18gBoil
5 minSimcoe15g13%WhirpoolPellet

Yeast&Bacteria:

Fermentis US-05 yeast & Lallemand Lactobacillus Plantarum

Mash:

TempNameTime
66°C (151°F)Mash Step90 min
76°C (168°F)Mash Out15 min

BREW DAY #1 (Mashing&Souring) – 15/03/2020

After mashing, the wort was heated to 82°C (180°F) for 15 minutes, then cooled to 35°C (95°F). PH lowered with phosphoric acid to level 4.5, added bacteria and sealed with foil.

BREW DAY #2 (Boiling&Hoping) – 17/03/2020

After two days PH dropped to 3.5. I boiled the wort and added hops, coriander and salt.

Fermentation temp.: 17°C (63°F) – 20°C (68°F) for 11 days then raking to secondary fermenter with addition raspberries.

28/03/2020

After 9 days the beer was transferred to a bottling bucket and after another 6 days bottled.

06/04/2020 transfering.

12/04/2020 bottling.

25/06/2020

Unfortunately, I did not have time to describe this beer before and at that moment the last bottle remained. It was the first sour beer I made, but I am delighted with it. If it were possible, I would definitely send them to a competition. You can’t see it in the pictures, however, the beer had excellent and stable foam, acidity at the level I expected and was not excessively dry. Definitely this is one of the many sour beers that I intend to brew, but I am happy to experiment with other fruits and with pure gose without fruit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *